“Growth is never by mere chance; it is the result of forces working together.” -James Cash Penney
Once again, COLLABORATE 17: Technology and Applications Forum for the Oracle Community was an exciting week of education, networking and knowledge sharing. Thousands of Oracle users from across the globe gathered at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas for the OAUG conference. We had a fantastic time meeting fellow attendees at the sessions, in the exhibit hall, presenting and at the happy hour events. TriCore has participated during COLLABORATE for a few years now, and there is always something new to learn. Here are a few of our favorite themes, pictures, and technical items from the conference this year.
One of the most prominent themes of the conference was the push towards Cloud. The week was chock full of Oracle Cloud Platform sessions covering capabilities and benefits of Oracle’s IaaS and PaaS solutions. The conference shed light on Oracle’s recent innovation and investment in the cloud. It is clear to see that Oracle is seriously ramping up their cloud capabilities and wants the world to know. Oracle offers a broad portfolio of software and hardware products and services to enable public, private, and hybrid clouds, enabling customers of any size to choose the right approach for them.
Interesting technical items from the conference:
- E-Business Suite: In the EBS R12.2 version you can disable the use of Apache Lock files. This is done in the config file by editing the parameter accept_mutex.
- OBIEE 12C: Data Blending is a new Concept in OBIEE 12c where you can blend your own data with internal corporate data. TriCore’s BI Solution Architect, Vikram Reddy Kosanam, presented on this topic. Vikram has transformed the highlights from his presentation into the "OBIEE 12c - Data Blending, Mashup and XSA Cache" white paper.
- Paramaters: MaxStartup and Clientalive paramaters should be increased in multi node implementations.
- ADOP: EBS online patching tool is now able to sync the PROD Apps tier with the DR instance APPS tier.
- Product Roadmaps: Many attendees were curious about building a cloud environment, but were not sure where to start. Many sessions focused on addressing these questions. Knowing the answers required for digital transformation – the who, what, where, why and how of your cloud strategy – can make every difference when adopting solutions that are right for your organization. Download the 5Ws to Modern Infrastructure ebook.
- Flex: Oracle has a new Flex cluster option in the 12.2 version of their database. This is intended as a feature to support big data and massive parallel query workloads. It is a RAC implementation.
- Hyperion: There are tools within Hyperion can be used to meet audit requirements. We will cover this more in-depth in a future blog.
- Delivering Happiness: Jenn Lim, CEO and Chief Happiness Officer, presented a keynote about creating happiness in the work place as well as your everyday life that left the audience feeling inspired.
- New Tools: The new 12.2 database is Includes a cluster health advisor. This tool will provide second level analysis proactively on the database with the intent of finding problems that are building up and recommending solutions to resolve before they impact the business. This will be integrated into EMcloud control with a patch. The tool is presently only intended for RAC implementations. It does not require and added licensing and is delivered with the 12.2 clusterware install.
- EBS Security Best Practices: They suggested not to use Oracle’s EBS SSL implementation but rather deploy the SSL cert to a load balancer. This is because Oracle is several years behind on their support of SSL. Where on the LB side it is strictly a network solution that is simple to keep updated with the latest standards. FND_DIAG needs to be disabled for any module exposed to the internet.
Once again, TriCore Solutions is honored to be a part of COLLABORATE & OAUG. It is exciting to see so many Oracle users in one place getting the latest information on Oracle e-business suite, Cloud/Fusion Applications, Hyperion, Business Intelligence, Application Strategy and so much more. We are also very proud to have had Vikram Kosanam present at the conference again this year.
Save the date for COLLABORATE 18, April 22-26 back at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas.