Apache Ambari is a web-based tool for provisioning, managing, and monitoring Apache Hadoop clusters. It has a very simple yet highly interactive UI to install various tools and perform various management, configuration and monitoring tasks.
In part 2 of the blog series I will cover the other core components of a Hadoop Framework including querying part, external integration, data exchange, co-ordination and managing as well as monitoring of Hadoop Clusters. Please refer to Basic’s of Hadoop Ecosystem Part 1...
Pig seems quite useful however; I am more of an SQL person. For those of us who still like SQL, we have SQL for Hadoop.
Hive is a distributed data warehouse built on atop of HDFS to manage and organize large amounts of data. It provides a query based on SQL semantics (HiveQL) which is translated by the runtime engine to Map Reduce jobs for querying the data.
- Schematized data store for housing large amounts of raw data.
- SQL-like environment to execute analysis and querying tasks on raw data in the HDFS.
- Integration with the outside RDBMS applications.
A distributed, reliable, and available service for efficiently collecting, aggregating, and moving large amounts of log data into HDFS. Flume's transports large quantities of event data using a streaming data flow architecture that is fault tolerant and failover recovery ready.
- Transports large amount of event data (network traffic, logs, email messages)
- Streams data from multiple sources into HDFS
- Guarantees a reliable real-time data streaming to the Hadoop applications.
Apache Sqoop is a tool designed for efficiently transferring bulk data between Apache Hadoop and external data stores such as relational databases, and enterprise data warehouses. Sqoop is widely used in most of the Big Data companies to transfer data between relational databases and Hadoop. Sqoop works with relational databases such as Teradata, Netezza, Oracle, MySQL, Postgres etc.
- Sqoop automates most of the process, depending on the database to describe the schema of the data to be imported.
- Sqoop uses Map Reduce framework to import and export the data, which provides parallel mechanism as well as the fault tolerance.
- It provides Connectors for all the major RDBMS Databases.
- It supports full/incremental load, parallel export/import of data and data compression.
- It supports Kerberos Security Integration.
Apache Zookeeper is a coordination service for distributed application that enables synchronization across a cluster. It is a centralized repository where distributed applications can put in data and get data out of it.
- Zookeeper is a Hadoop Admin tool used for managing the jobs in a cluster.
- Zookeeper Hadoop is akin to a watch guard as it notifies any change of data in one node to the other.
PROVISIONING, MANAGING & MONITORING HADOOP CLUSTERS:
Apache Ambari is a web-based tool for provisioning, managing, and monitoring Apache Hadoop clusters. It has a very simple yet highly interactive UI to install various tools and perform various management, configuration and monitoring tasks. Ambari provides a dashboard for viewing cluster health such as heat maps and ability to view MapReduce, Pig and Hive applications visually along with the features to diagnose their performance characteristics in a user-friendly manner.
- Master services mapping with Nodes.
- We can always choose the services that we want to install.
- Stack Selection made easy. We can customize our services.
- Apache Ambari provides us a simpler interface and saves lot of our efforts on installation, monitoring and managing so many components and their different installation steps along with monitoring controls at ease.
Hadoop has been a very effective solution for companies dealing with extremely huge data. It is a much sought after tool in the industry for data management in the distributed systems. As it is an open source, it is easily available for the companies to leverage it for their use.
These are some highlights on Apache’s Hadoop ecosystem. Documentation for these is available on Apache Software Foundation Website.